Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lead law story


Before I went to Jefferson City to do the interview last Friday, I thought it would be a good story. A new lead law was enacted last week to ban children's products containing lead. However, it affects a lot of motor dealers in a bad way. I found some conflicts in it and also found a central compelling character. I thought the pkg would be easy to finish.

But, after I arrived at the Larry's Motor Sports, I realized there was a big problem: no action in the story. The story is about a law, a ban of sale and kid-size vehicles, none of them containing movement. The worse thing is my CCC, the general manager of the dealership, just stood in the store chatting with customers without any movement. I really don't want my piece full of static pictures just like wallpaper, but the whole store is so quiet and tranquil.

Although the manager is extremely nice, I don't think it is ethically acceptable for me to stage him. So I spent a lot of time hanging around in the big showroom and waiting. Luckily enough, a father brought his son to the dealership. I did the interview with the father, who is very proud of his riding family. He said their whole family had ridden to a lot of states so far, such as Colorado and Illinois. And then he offered to let me shoot his son riding. I was so grateful to him and started shooting.

Another problem popped up: I had no idea where the little boy was going so couldn't catch him! I wish I could ask Scott about how to shoot this kind of situation beforehand! So there is only one sequence shot in the final pkg, which looks not so inviting. It just proves to me how important sequence shots are.

Since the visuals are not great, I want to make the script better. Sometimes, I don't know how to express my meaning in a conversational manner. So I googled the topic and found some similar stories covered by reporters from everywhere. I read them loudly and try to find some better ways to put words.

Below are some examples.

"A new law is putting the brakes on youth dirt bikes and ATV’s. "

"A new federal ban on ATVs and dirt bikes for children under 13 is putting a dent in local businesses. "

"Until they get the OK to sell them again, dealerships in the F-M are either keeping their youth bikes on display or are wiping them off the floor completely."

"He said if the new law isn't reworked, then an entire sector of his business could fall flat."

I am so eager to improve my writing. Is there an efficient way to learn?



0 comments: